Mar 6, 2014

Trigger Me.... Not!

It's really funny sometimes how authors (like me) completely avoid topics to write about if they are particularly triggery. And it's exactly how readers will chose books that don't trigger them. I have several topics that I won't touch, actually, and those that I will even if they are kind of triggery.

I'm just a very, very sensitive person with those things. One thing that scares the crap out of me is the thought of the apocalypse, but yet I tried to write a story based on that type of scenario. When I first started the idea back in 2012, I decided to wait until that whole Mayan prophesy thing was done before writing the whole thing. This December, I finally got it done, even if it's a little haywire on the why's and where's, frankly because I don't want to think about things like that.

But that's plotting I suppose and it needs to be done.

So I wrote about that one, even though it's kind of scary.

Another example... Last year I must have been in a damn good mood, because my story "Surviving the Fall" available at Less Than 3 in their "If You're Reading This Anthology" deals with a major trigger for me. Strangely. I love the story. Gaw, love it. But it's something that I usually won't write about.

In the story, Austin finds the perfect coat at a thrift store for his date. In the pocket, is a note and a ring, and curious, Austin decides to take the ring to the address on the note. He meets love interest, Luke and finds out, the original owner of the ring committed suicide.

Although I never go into major details, that word is a trigger for me. Hence why I think I must have been in one hell of an awesome mood last year. This year, though, when I went back for one last read through before publication in January, it was suddenly a trigger again.

*shrugs*

I don't know, maybe it's because I've been in one hell of a shitty mood this year. You know how it goes, drama drama drama... LOL

Stories like that are important to write, and readers do love them. But honestly, I'm not sure if I'll ever go into a topic like that again. Hey, it's good to challenge myself, though. Done...

No comments:

Post a Comment