Welcome to a stop on the Absolutely Erotic Blog Hop, where we’re showcasing erotica and erotic romance authors from the Absolute Write forums. Each day, interviews will be posted, and when it’s all said and done, some lucky commenter will win a huge prize! Click here for the entire blog schedule and details about the contents of the prize, and how to win an armload of ebooks, a $25 Amazon gift card, and more.
Today, I’m hosting L.A. Witt (who also writes as Lauren Gallagher).
1. Have you always loved romance writing? Honestly, no. I was all about epic fantasy and science fiction during those formative years when I was first cutting my teeth on writing. Then I did NaNoWriMo and decided to write a romance because it was simpler than epic fantasy (simpler = I could plot one out in the two weeks I had left before NaNo started), and the rest is history. I’d found my niche.
2. Do you have any special writing rituals? I have to constantly update my word count spreadsheet. Like, constantly. It seems counterproductive, but it’s almost a tic. Something I have to do or I get flustered and frustrated. Blame my OCD.
3. Do you have a writing tip to share with our viewers? Be persistent with your writing, and open-minded when it comes to criticism.
4. What do you find the most challenging about being a writer? Insecurity. I second-guess myself a lot, and go through periods where I don’t feel certain about anything I write. That insecurity is also what keeps me striving to get better, but it’s absolutely a double-edged sword.
5. What’s one time and/or place (past, present, or future) that you’re dying to write about? Why? Well, a year ago I would have said World War II and Ancient Rome. Now that I’ve written both, I want to write MORE of both. LOL They’re fascinating eras, and there are endless possibilities.
6. If you could pick anyone in the world to be the cover model(s) on your latest release, who would it be? I would sell my soul to have Jared Leto on the cover of one of my books.
7. What would you tell a reader reluctant to read erotica? Try it, you might like it! There are all kinds of flavors of erotica, so don’t feel like you have to read something kinky if that’s not your thing, or stick with vanilla if you prefer something a little wilder. There really is something for everybody out there.
8. If you were stranded on an island with one book and one object, what would they be? The book would be either On Writing by Stephen King or Skybound by my amazing co-author, Aleksandr Voinov. One object? My retractable bear claw back scratcher. Laugh all you want. That was the best $3.99 I ever spent.
9. If you could have one superpower, what would it be? The ability to look good in skintight spandex.
10. Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination? They’re completely fictional. I usually use photos of real people just to give myself a visual, but the personalities, histories, etc., are entirely their own. That’s not to say they’re not influenced by people I know. Sometimes a character’s quirk comes from someone I know, and sometimes an experience they’ve had is one I’ve had myself, but as a whole, the character is his or her own person.
11. What is the most interesting thing you have learned from your research? Oh lord. What haven’t I learned doing research? Off the top of my head, I’d say the coolest research moment was when Aleks Voinov and I were writing our WWII historical, and had sent our characters behind enemy lines in an entirely fictional operation during the Battle of the Bulge. We thought, “Well, there’s nothing that says the Germans didn’t do this, so it’s certainly possible that it could have happened…” (It is fiction, after all) And then while I was researching another tidbit about the same book, I stumbled across an operation in which the Germans were doing almost exactly what we’d concocted, in the exact same time and place as our story. We decided that history bent itself to fit our story.
12. Which of your book covers is your favorite? Who designed that cover? I have to pick one?? *whimpers* Um. Well. I love Quid Pro Quo, which is a Jordan Taylor cover. Covet Thy Neighbor (L.C. Chase) is also amazing. Conduct Unbecoming, The Princess and the Porn Star, and All The King’s Horses are probably my favorites.
13. Are you attending any conventions in the next year? Which ones? I’ve already been to RT this year and will probably go next year. In July, I’ll be at the UK GLBTQ Fiction meet-up in Manchester, and in October, GayRomLit in Atlanta. I’ll also be at the Rainbow Convention in Florida next April. My husband will be accompanying me to that one, too!
Thank you for visiting this stop on the Absolutely Erotic Blog Hop! Please be sure to visit the other interviews in the hop and comment for more chances to win the grand prize before the drawing later this week!
L.A. Witt is an abnormal M/M romance writer currently living in the glamorous and ultra-futuristic metropolis of Omaha, Nebraska, with her husband, two cats, and a disembodied penguin brain that communicates with her telepathically. In addition to writing smut and disturbing the locals, L.A. is said to be working with the US government to perfect a genetic modification that will allow humans to survive indefinitely on Corn Pops and beef jerky. This is all a cover, though, as her primary leisure activity is hunting down her arch nemesis, erotica author Lauren Gallagher, who is also said to be lurking somewhere in Omaha.